Google Analytics is a powerful platform that provides you with insight into how visitors come to your site, what they're doing once they land on your page and how many convert during their session. A data-driven website optimization plan helps you gain a better return on investment.
Track These Google Analytics Metrics for ROI Optimization
You can track nearly everything through this platform, which can lead to information overload. These metrics are the most important ones for calculating your ROI and identifying ways to boost that figure.
When a visitor loads one of your web pages and immediately leaves your site, they're considered bounced. Look at this metric to determine whether your user experience matches the expectation of potential customers. For example, if you have a paid search ad campaign promising information about a particular product, is this easy to find when they get to your main page?
You look at two demographics when you consider this metric: new and returning users. A conversion rate breakdown gives you better clarity into which people are converting and whether they have experience with your website.
Pages Per Session
Are people sticking around your site after the initial landing page? The pages per session show you exactly how many web pages they visit before they finish their session.
How do visitors leave your website? The last page that they view gives you insight into popular content and user flow throughout your site.
Incoming Traffic Sources
Where do your viewers come from? This section lists your incoming traffic sources, which includes direct traffic, search engine traffic and referring domains. You also see the keywords used on search engines.
If your website has a search function, you get information on what people look for once they get to your pages. You learn a lot about the most important content for users.
Cost Per Conversion
This metric calculates your overall costs for a person to end up converting. You define exactly what a conversion means as it relates to your website, such as an e-commerce purchase or someone filling out a quote form.
Create an Actionable Plan Based on Your Google Analytics Metrics
Google Analytics data is only half the battle for improving your ROI. You need to use these metrics as the basis of a data-driven strategy designed to improve your ROI. Here are a few starting points you can use to leverage this information and get the most out of your web traffic.
- Rewrite high-traffic landing pages to align with the search engine keywords viewers use before they visit the site. You want to match user expectations so they stay on your site.
- Model new pages after your most popular and highest converting areas of your site. You build from a proven foundation with this method.
- Split test your site based on your high conversion campaigns.
- Go through your high-volume and high-converting keywords and use search engine optimization techniques to attract more visitors looking for the same thing.
- Streamline the typical user flow on your website so they get the information they want as quickly as possible. Encourage them to take the desired action during this journey, whether that's giving an email address or downloading a resource.
Tracking your website performance with Google Analytics empowers you to improve your ROI and get more from your online presence. Watch the performance of these key metrics over time to accurately identify which parts of your user experience need tweaking and which work out great.